April 2013: Application and Interview (Pulse)
Theme of the month time. This month’s theme: Application and Interview
While we will be informing the medical student mentors of this month’s theme as always, it is your responsibility to email/call/text them with questions. Please remember to keep up with the contact log.
While we usually offer general advice regarding the current theme of the month, we feel that the listed website resources and the Application/Interview/Personal Statement workshop should offer more than enough general advice. We will therefore just give you a few commonly asked questions you may want to consider asking your mentor.
- What are the components to the medical school application?
- How long does it take to complete the application (in general)? How much time should I allot to filling it out?
- What needs to be submitted with the application (CV? Personal Statement? Recommendations? MCAT? Transcripts?). When does component each need to be completed/submitted (are all components submitted at the same time)?
- Am I allowed to submit a resume or list my accomplishments? If so how many can I list? What is involved in listing my extracurricular activities? How much space do I have? What kind of proof do I need to submit that I completed an activity?
- Does it matter WHEN I submit my application?
- When do I need to take the MCAT for it to appear on my application?
- When should I ask for letters of recommendation? How many should I have?
- What do I wear?
- What are some commonly asked interview questions?
- What is the style of the interview (conversation? very formal?)? Does it differ from school to school?
- Are mock interviews important?
- How important is the interview in the admission process?
- What do I need to get an interview? How do I get an interview?
- What are some general qualities schools look for when interviewing a candidate?
- Is there anything I SHOULD NOT do?
- What are some common courtesies before, during, and after interview (Punctuality? Thank you letters?)
- Any tips on body language?
- How do I plan for travel or temporary housing?
- This is merely a sampling of the questions pre-medical students have in the application and interview process. If you have more suggested questions (possibly to be used in future years), we welcome the feedback.
We hope all of you had an excellent Spring Break! Welcome back to school!