Here’s your chance to give back.
Close your eyes. Recall your days as a pre-med. Remember scrambling to register for the right prerequisite courses? Or how you felt that final week before taking the MCAT? What about those recurring nightmares about embarrassing typos after submitting your AMCAS? (Or was that just me?)
Anyway, the point is: we’ve all been there, and we didn’t get here by ourselves. “Plus, without you, our program wouldn’t be here!”
“Plus, without you, our program wouldn’t be here!”
- Develop a mentoring relationship with a pre-med mentee
- Enhance your leadership and communication skills
- Participate in or help lead one of our many medical school workshops
- Be a part of a pre-med’s journey to medical school
What do I need to do as a mentor?
Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.
Being medical students ourselves, we understand that you have a lot on your plate. We promise that your duties as a mentor won’t interfere with your ability to finish LIs, cut into your clinical hours, or conflict with exam schedules (we take these things into consideration when planning!). Plus, the requirements are simple:
- Be a current medical student at the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine.
- Be positive, encouraging, and supportive.
- Be open-minded.
- Note: there are no membership fees to become a mentor. Simply sign up through our online application.
As a mentor, we also ask for the following:
- Contact your mentee at least once a month (e.g. e-mail, phone, or face-to-face meeting)
- Arrange at least one face-to-face meeting with your mentee during the academic year
- Based on your own experiences, help your mentee develop a career/education plan in medicine
- If applicable, suggest additional resources to help your mentee’s academic and professional development
- Do not lose contact with your mentee!
Let’s do this! How do I sign up?
Our official matching season for the 2018-2019 school year has not yet opened. If you would like to join MSMP, please go to our Applications Page at the end of August and fill out a short application to become a mentor. Our applications help us match you to the mentee best fit to your preferences.
- There are no membership fees or contracts to become a mentor.
- After submitting an application, you will receive an email confirmation.
- We usually complete the mentor-mentee pairing sometime in October.